Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DIY Collage Notebook Cover

I apologize for the lack of postings lately! Things got super busy after Thanksgiving, between traveling back and forth between Columbia and Blomington, taking finals, and packing up for winter break. I have officially finished my first semester of college, and I truly had a blast (read a reflection here). I'm back home in Bloomington for the holidays, and I am looking forward to relaxing and spending time with family and friends.

I have a five week long (yes five!) winter break. I'm excited to have that much time off, but I know I have to keep busy. Luckily, I was able to return to the restaurant where I worked in high school as a hostess. Besides work, I have a long list of craft projects to get done, books to read, and blog posts to write. The first craft project I accomplished is what I want to share with all of you today!

DIY COLLAGE NOTEBOOK COVER

So the agenda I have right now only goes through December 2013. I am going to need a new agenda for the new year. I had bought a boring academic planner by Mead back in August, thinking I would use it, but it sat in my desk drawer unused since I already had a Sarah Pinto weekly planner. I didn't want the Mead planner to go to waste, so I decided to use it for the upcoming semester. The only problem? Its boring blue plastic cover just wasn't working for me. I've always loved to make collages, so I decided my agenda needed a little bit of collage treatment!

YOU WILL NEED:
scissors
clear packaging tape
glue stick
old magazines
agenda, notebook, or folder
printer paper (or paper of your choice)

1. Start by collecting some old magazines lying around your house or room. My favorites are Glamour and Allure. Flip through the pages and cut out words, objects, and pictures that you like.


glossy magazine shapes

2. After you think you have enough cutouts, grab a piece of printer paper. Trace the outline of your notebook cover onto the printer paper and cut it out. You will glue your magazine shapes to the paper, and then tape the paper to the notebook cover.


This boring blue agenda got a major makeover!

3. Next, arrange your various magazine cut outs on the printer paper you just cut. Don't glue the shapes down just yet! Arrange them the way you would like all of them to fit first. Then, grab a glue stick and affix all of the shapes to the printer paper.


Shapes all arranged and ready to be glued

4. After you have glued all of your shapes onto the printer paper, flip it over. Make three rolls of packaging tape and affix them to the back of the printer paper. Then, press the collage onto the front of your notebook or agenda, lining the edge up with the holes that the spirals go through. Don't let the collage cover the holes.

5. After you have affixed the collage to the notebook with rolls of tape, you are going to "laminate" the collage with packing tape. This will help it stick to the front of the notebook, and also prevent your magazine cutouts from coming off the printer paper. To do this, cut strips of packing tape that are about an inch longer than the length of the notebook cover. Press the tape strips onto the cover, and fold over the extra edges to the inside cover of the notebook. You will probably use three or four strips of tape.

6. Voila! A stylish and unique notebook cover with little to no cost! 



Do you like to make collages? What do you have planned for your winter break? Let me know!

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative.

Emily










No comments:

Post a Comment