Friday, November 15, 2013

Giving Talbots Credit

Talbots. 
The word might make the fashion conscious shudder, especially those under the age of 25. Images of matronly sweater sets, too-long skirts, over-conservative pantsuits, and dull colors may come to mind.
You may want to think again.

The retailer has revamped its image over the past few seasons. Although the conservative middle age set can still find their staple sweater sets and business suits, Talbots also caters to a more youthful crowd. Bright colors have made an appearance, as well as more updated silhouettes. Fun patterns sprinkle scarves, blouses, and vests, and the jewelry has received a makeover as well.

My mother, a devoted Talbots shopper, quit shopping at the retailer a few years back. She was sick of the selection and the bland offerings. However, over the past year or so, she has gotten back on the Talbots bandwagon. I've tagged along with her to our local Talbots the past few times, and I've been very pleased with what I've seen.

The new offerings transcend age groups. The styles are classic yet current, and many of the pieces would be appropriate for a 20-something woman, but would look just as great on her mother. I'm very pleased with the way Talbots has re-invented itself. I don't think it receives enough recognition for what it offers. It gets overshadowed by bigger name retailers such as Gap and J.Crew.

If you haven't set foot in a Talbots store in a while (or at all), I recommend you pop in on your next shopping trip. You'll be happy you did!

I've compiled some of my favorites from the current collection. I hope this inspires you to set foot in a Talbots and bring a bunch of clothes to the dressing room!


Who doesn't love cashmere? I'm usually not a fan of turtlenecks, but I love the color blocking on this one! I think it would be super cute with navy cords or jeans, or make it a little dressier by pairing it with a wool navy mini and tights.
2. Coat
It's no secret I have a major coat addiction. I don't have a red one in my collection yet, so this may have to be my next purchase. The leather-buckle toggles add such personality!
3. Tote
This quilted tote will fit a 13" laptop, so it's perfect for the office or around campus. I think I love it so much because it's Mizzou gold! Also comes in navy or black.
I love ankle pants more than anything. They flatter me way better than regular length slacks. So cute paired with loafers, heels, or riding boots. The houndstooth is a perfect pattern for fall, and paired with a crisp blouse and blazer, is a perfect business casual outfit.
What's better than the perfect pair of riding boots? Fun boot socks, of course! I love wearing colorful patterned socks under my riding boots. The color blocking on this pair is super fun!
These heels are so festive and perfect for the holidays! They aren't too high, so they are perfect from transitioning from the office to a holiday party. I'd pair them with a black pencil skirt, a white blouse, and a red pashmina. 
Talbots has always designed beautiful silk scarves. This equestrian-themed one is no exception. Pair it with your favorite wool peacoat, or tie it on your tote bag for some extra pizazz. 
Cute belts can really spice up an otherwise plain outfit. The gold bow detail on this belt definitely makes a statement (in a good way). Pair it with your favorite jeans and a T-shirt, or belt your newest sweater dress.

Have you shopped at Talbots lately? What do you think of their revamped designs?

Stay Stylish. Stay Classy. Be Creative.

Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment