Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Homecoming @ Mizzou

This past weekend, The University of Missouri celebrated its 102nd Homecoming. I had such a fun time taking part in all to the weekend's festivities and participating in my first college homecoming. Homecoming was founded at Mizzou, so the weekend was filled with tons of pride and tradition.


FRIDAY: Campus Decorations

Each fall semester, all of the sorority houses on campus get "married"to a fraternity house and work on Homecoming activities together. These activities include building a float, designing a banner, and assembling pomp boards. The houses put many hours of work into their displays, and freshman pledges typically have assigned "pomping hours." Pomping consists of rolling bits of tissue paper around a marker, and gluing the bits of paper to plywood. It eventually forms an intricate design.

The theme for homecoming this year was "Great American Cities." Each Greek pairing picked a city and designed their boards, floats, and banner according to the theme. All of their hard work is showcased on the Friday night before Homecoming during campus decorations. Greek Town is filled with community members, students, and families who come to see what the Greeks have been designing for the past two months. Included with each display are skits and music. It's definitely a scene and it was amazing to see all of the intricate pomped designs. My friends and I walked around Greek Town to see all of the decorations. We had a great time!



Tri Sigma chose San Francisco. All of those houses are pomped. So intricate!


Independence Hall


It was so fun walking around to see all the decorations with these girls!

SATURDAY: The Parade and Football Game

On Saturday morning, my friends and I walked to the center of campus to watch the Homecoming parade. It was a beautiful morning and it wasn't too cold. We found a spot on the curb along Hitt Street.  Marching Mizzou, Greek pairings, residence halls, sports teams, and community organizations participated in the parade. It was fun to see the floats and decorations (and get candy!) The parade was a great representation of how much spirit and tradition is alive at Mizzou. 


Sitting along the parade route


Our mascot, Truman


Monster Truck School Bus


Chi Omega's Orlando themed float

Later on Saturday afternoon, a few of my friends and I went to a tailgate before the football game. One of the professors who facilitates our freshman interest group was kind enough to host us. He and his wife prepared quite the spread, including BBQ pork, pasta salad, fresh fruit, and delicious cookies and brownies. It was such a treat! I hadn't tailgated before a Mizzou game before, so it was great to be able to finally participate in the tradition! 


Natasha, Katie, and I at the tailgate


Sam and I showing off the Miz Homecoming T-Shirt


My Peer Advisor, Kara. She's great!

In case you didn't already hear, we lost our Homecoming game, and it ruined our undefeated record. However, the game was still a lot of fun! The stadium was sold out and the energy was amazing. The alumni band made and appearance alongside Marching Mizzou, and there was also a group of alumni cheerleaders. The homecoming court was introduced at halftime and the homecoming king and queen were crowned. The game went really well until the third quarter, but then our team lost momentum. We ended up losing in double overtime due to a missed field goal. Very disappointing, but I still love my Tigers! We are going to come back this weekend and beat Tennessee!


Hannie and I at the game. So lucky to have her here with me!


M-I-Z-Z-O-U


I love this University more than anything. I truly feel at home here and like I belong. Mizzou has more than 30,000 students, but it is traditions like Homecoming that bring us all together as one. The tradition and sense of pride is so alive here. I love my school, and celebrating my first homecoming was a blast!

Has your school celebrated homecoming yet?

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative

Emily


















No comments:

Post a Comment