No matter how you feel about it, Graduation is fast approaching. This means grad parties, and grad parties often mean gift giving. Although you won't be getting every single grad you know a gift, you will surely be looking to buy gifts for a few. As a girl who is graduating high school in two short weeks, and heading off to college in the fall, I thought I would put together a "Graduation Gift Guide" of sorts to provide some ideas, especially for the hard to buy for. For this post, I focused on high school graduation gifts as opposed to college graduation gifts.
#1. The Wristlet
Yes, I gave the wristlet its own gift category. Every college girl needs a cute and functional wristlet. Give her an upgrade from the one she got for her 16th birthday and has used throughout high school, and opt for a sleek, more sophisticated version. Leather is ideal, as it will hold up and wipes clean easily. Try to find one with a see through window for her student ID, a place for her phone, and a key ring for her dorm room key. Perfect for trips to the rec center, dining hall, library, laundry room, and parties or anywhere where she just needs the essentials.
(This one just went on sale!)
(This one currently ships for free!)
(Currently on sale!)
#2. The Must Haves
I am a huge fan of functional gifts, and the gifts that follow are nothing short of functional! There are some items that every girl should own before she goes to college, but she often forgets. I believe the following gifts I have rounded up will definitely come in handy for years to come.
1. Patagonia Snap-T- I have two of these and practically live in them during the cooler months. They are so so soft and cozy! Perfect to throw on with leggings and boots for a day in the library, cute with skinny jeans and flats for a coffee date, and I may or may not have used mine as a pajama top when it was freezing out. So versatile. Patagonia items hold up through countless washes, so this investment piece will last for years.
2. Fossil Rose Watch- So many young people forgo watches these days, thinking that they can just use the clock on their cell phone. I think this is a shame! Besides being a cute accessory, there are certain situations where looking at a cell phone clock can be extremely rude. This rose one from Fossil is classic and goes with everything.
3. Rain Boots- I have had so many people tell me that they wish they would have invested in rain gear before going to college. Class is held rain or shine, so give her a pair of cute boots she can throw on for that long walk across campus on rainy days. Target has so many cute options, including this fish-printed pair.
4. Bathrobe- Many girls don't own a bathrobe, and if they do, they might not be willing to be seen in public with it (Guilty, mine is from junior high and has a snowman on it!) Bathrobes are essential for dorm living and community bathrooms. Buy her this cute robe from Target for her to wear on the way back to her dorm room.
5. Umbrella- This goes back to the rain gear idea. An umbrella is a must for walking to class on rainy days, so why not make it a stylish accessory as well!
6. North Face Resolve Rain Jacket- Again, rain gear. I posted about this jacket in my rain gear essentials post. It is the perfect light jacket for spring, but can also be layered over a thicker fleece for a waterproof layer in colder weather. Definitely will be of use for wet and dreary days on campus, and the bright colors are sure to bring a smile to her face.
7. Vera Bradley Large Duffle- This bag is perfect for quick trips home on the weekends. It is dorm room friendly, as it folds flat and can be stored in minimal space (unlike a traditional suitcase.) You would be so surprised at how much you can fit in these duffels! They are also carry-on approved.
#3. Monogram It
Monograms are just so fun! It shows you put a lot of extra thought into a gift. Here's a sampling of some of my favorite monogrammed gifts.
1. Pencil Cup: Perfect for the desk in her dorm.
2. Notepad: Essential for jotting down reminders and due dates.
3. Tote: This L.L. Bean boat and tote is a classic. Handy for toting books and study supplies to and from the library, or clothes and laundry supplies to and from the laundry room.
4. Towel- She and her roommate will always be able to tell their bath towels apart if hers is monogrammed :)
5. Fleece Half-Zip- Fleece jackets are just the best. Add a monogram to a fleece in her school colors for the perfect gift.
6. Plastic Tumbler- Great for taking to the library for long study sessions, or to the rec center for a workout.
7. Laptop Case- Cases are a must to avoid scratches and cracks. She will have the cutest case in the library with this monogrammed one.
8. State of Mind Necklace- Although not monogrammed, this gift idea is definitely personal. Dogeared makes such meaningful jewelry, and this necklace is no exception. This necklace will remind her where she came from and always keep a reminder of home close to her heart. Especially a good gift if she is going to college out of state.
Have you bought graduation gifts for anyone yet? What was your favorite gift you received for graduation? Let me know in the comments.
Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative