Saturday, May 18, 2013

5 Things That Will Forever Remind Me of High School

It's been rather quiet around Stylish.Classy.Creative for the past week. I do apologize! It's been crazy busy, getting ready for the senior luncheon and awards ceremony, making final preparations for my sisters' and I's grad party (it's tonight), and even trying to schedule an appointment for me to get my wisdom teeth out (ugh!). Needless to say, blogging has been momentarily put on the back burner. However, now that graduation weekend has officially kicked off, I figured it was due time for a very fitting post.

I graduate from Central Catholic High School tonight at 5:00. It's still a bit surreal. We've had our senior awards banquet and set foot in the school building one last time as a class. I'm slowly starting to come to the realization that it's actually happening! Last night was my grad party, and I think that reaffirmed my realization. 

As I've mentioned in several previous posts, my time at CCHS was so unique. There are several different aspects, whether it is physical objects, or experiences, that will always remind me of my time in high school. I thought it would be fun to highlight these "5 Things" in a blog post. Read on!

#1: Khaki Pants

Yes, we wore uniforms. Okay, so we weren't subjected to the plaid skirts/blazers/ties that are present at some Catholic high schools. We had a little bit of freedom in our "dress code." Girls could wear khaki/navy/dark brown skirts/pants/bermudas/capris and light blue/gold/navy/white polos or button up blouses. We were allowed to wear sweaters, and school logo sweatshirts and fleeces without a hood. Pretty lenient and very comfortable! You had plenty of ways to "express yourself" but getting dressed each day wasn't too much of an ordeal. 
After wearing the CCHS uniform for four years, I can honestly say that I don't think I will ever be able to wear khakis again. They remind me too much of my school uniform. Every single girl stocked up on the pairs from Aeropostale (pictured above) each fall. They were flattering for a pair of khaki pants, but I just don't think I will ever have a pair of khakis in my wardrobe. They will forever be synonymous with my high school uniform!

#2: Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies

It might be safe to say that if you haven't ever had an Otis Spunkmeyer cookie, you haven't lived. These delicious treats were baked by the hundreds every day in our school cafeteria. They were stacked neatly in their cute little plastic drawers, and protected by the parchment paper wrapper with an Otis quote such as "Cookies Make the World go Round." (Yes, Otis, they do!) The smell of the delicious cookies baking would greet my nose every morning. (They were baked in special Otis ovens, naturally!) During the first few weeks of freshman year, people were obsessed with the cookies! Several guys would get packages several times a day. Not the healthiest, that's for sure. I did have a brief run in with "Otis Obsesssion" my freshman year, but then I made a rule for myself. My rule was that I could have the cookies once a week. I usually chose to eat them on Fridays as a special treat, but there was also many days after a tough AP U.S. History test that I would treat myself to Otis as well. My favorite flavors were butter sugar or milk chocolate chunk. So moist and delicious. From now on, if I ever see Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, I will think of my high school days.

#3: Eclipse Gum
Our school was gum free, so you actually weren't allowed to chew gum. Obviously, this didn't stop us. During freshman and sophomore year, I kept one of the Eclipse Big Paks in my locker. People quickly found out, and flocked to me to get their gum fix. I'll never forget one time during freshman year, when the gum pack fell from the shelf of my locker and spilled all over the hallway. My English teacher was not pleased. Every day after lunch during sophomore year, Maggie and Erin would stop at my locker to get gum before we all walked to wellness together. It was our daily routine. Needless to say, Eclipse gum will always evoke memories of my time as an underclassmen in high school.


Maggie and Erin and I, doing one of our class "Wellness Crew" poses

#4: Pretzel M&Ms

Wow, yet another junk food that will always remind me of high school. Pretzel M&Ms were a big part of my sophomore year volleyball season. My friend Sarah and I would go to the concession stand after our JV volleyball game and grab a pack to eat while we watched the varsity game. It was our little routine, and we were a bit obsessed. We still talk about our obsession with pretzel M&Ms.

Sarah and I on New Year's a few years ago. 

#5: Tennis


The team after a weekend tournament. Love these girls!

For the first two years of high school, I was a volleyball player. Once junior year rolled around, I knew I would need more time to devote to AP classes, so volleyball was out of the picture. In its place landed tennis, a sport that I had only recently taken up during the winter of my sophomore year. I was a bit nervous to join the team at first, as most of the girls had been playing tennis since they were young. I made the team junior year, and I had a great season. Senior year was amazing, we had so much fun singing on the bus to tournaments, goofing around at practice, and of course consuming lots of food. (We had an organized snack schedule for matches, and if you forgot to bring your snack, you were hated :)) I loved that tennis put me with a group of girls who I normally didn't hang out with. It was truly a breath of fresh air. The coaches were great as well, and were very flexible and reasonable. I definitely wasn't the best in my team, but I truly enjoyed the friendship, exercise, and community that tennis offered. It's a sport that I hope to continue to play recreationally in college and beyond. Whenever I play, I will always be reminded of the fun times I had playing tennis in high school. 


Do you have any items/experiences that (will always) remind you of your time in high school?

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative

Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment