Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Art of the Thank You Note


Thank You notes are one of the simple pleasures in life, but unfortunately they are increasingly forgotten. I love receiving handwritten thank you notes in the mail on crisp stationery. In this age of technology and social media, people often think that handwritten thank you notes are outdated and are something of the past. This couldn't be more untrue. According to The Emily Post "Etipedia," 
a handwritten note is still the right thing to do. 

Daniel Post Senning offers this quote about the importance of the handwritten thank you note:

"Would I ever send a digital thank-you for a gift I was given? No way. It just isn't enough - not personal enough, not weighty enough. You can't hold digital thanks in your hands the way you can hold a note. When was the last time you printed out an e-card? Right. Email is read and deleted. A mailed note is seen again and again on a desk or counter. Would you rather your thanks be remembered or deleted?"

Sure, a quick text or e-mail is better than no thank you note at all. However, I am a firm believer in a traditional handwritten note. It shows that the person took time out of their busy day to sit down and reflect on the meaning of the gift. The person who gave you the gift spent time and money picking out something just for you. You should make time to thank them for this thoughtful gesture.

Having recently written several thank you notes after my graduation party, I know how time consuming writing thank you notes can be (and I like to write!) However, your efforts will be appreciated when your note is received by the gift-giver.

One of the other reasons I just love a handwritten thank you note is because of the stationery. I will admit to being a stationery addict. I may or may not have an entire desk drawer dedicated to stationery. It's just so fun!

Here are some current contents of my stationery drawer:


Clockwise from Left:
Jostens Stationery (very classic, typical for high school graduations. It's a good option if you are going to have to write a large amount of Thank Yous.)
Lilly Pulitzer Fold-over notes: I love this patchwork design. I got these at TJ Maxx for maybe six dollars. (Great place to find stationery.)
Houndstooth Initial fold-over notes: I got these in the $1 section at Michaels.
Sailboat side-fold card: again, $1 at Michaels!
Blue initial fold-over note: $1 at Michaels

You don't need to spend a lot of money on fancy thank you notes. I usually get mine in the $1 section at Michaels. They have some really cute and preppy designs! TJ Maxx and HomeGoods are also great places to look. I've seen many a Lilly Pulitzer or Kate Spade stationery set at my local TJ Maxx for under $10. 



If I could splurge on stationery (that would be dangerous!) These would be my top choices:

Great websites for "splurge worthy" stationery:


Other stores to check out are Crane & Co., Papyrus, and even Target!

If you are really adventurous, you may want to check out Etsy as well.

I hope this post inspires you to take the time to write thank you notes if you don't already do so. It is a very thoughtful and fulfilling practice. Make it a habit, and always have cute stationery on hand.

Happy Writing!

Do you love a good handwritten thank you as much as I do? Where do you get your stationery? Do you prefer flat cards or fold-over notes? Let me know!

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative.

Emily








No comments:

Post a Comment