Sunday, April 28, 2013

10 Days

10 Days

That's how many days I have left of high school.
I. Can't. Even. Believe. It.

This year has flown. There is no other way to describe it. It seems that every passing year moves along at a faster and faster pace.

I am facing these last 10 days with mixed emotions.

There will be laughs
There will be smiles
There will be tears

I am so ready to move on to the next phase of my life: college. I will be attending the University of Missouri in the fall to study journalism. I am so excited for all of the independence, new experiences, and new relationships that await me. I have already found a roommate and we have begun to plan our decor! I can't wait to take engaging classes with lively and diverse professors, and enrich my life by furthering my education and exposing myself to new experiences.

*********

I am so happy to say that I have really enjoyed my time in high school, but it is definitely not going to be the peak of my life. I formed so many great friendships, took a variety of classes with engaging and insightful teachers, and was presented with many opportunities and experiences that I will never forget. I worked hard and had fun. I am proud of my high school career, and can't wait to carry the successes I have had in high school into college with me.

I am so lucky to have been able to attend a small high school that was like a family. I can't imagine what the last four years would have been like if I hadn't attended Central Catholic. Central has instilled in me the values, faith, smarts, and leadership skills that I need to carry into the future. I have been so lucky to have found a group of friends who share the same values as me and encourage me to make healthy decisions and engage in smart behavior. All of this would have been more difficult at a larger school.

I have been going to school with a majority of the people in my class since Kindergarten. It is so bizarre to think that after graduation day, I may never see some of these people ever again. Our class is a family  and I like to think we all get along pretty well. Sure, everyone has their own friend groups and interests, but when it comes down to it, we definitely have each other's backs.

Walking out of school on May 10th is going to be a unique feeling. We will all be saying goodbye. Goodbye to each other, goodbye to routine, goodbye to familiarity. I'm sure there will be tears shed. Central Catholic has been such a big part of all of our lives. It's hard to say goodbye to something you love and have such fond memories of.

However, May 10th will also be a day of saying hello. Hello to new beginnings, hello to opportunity, hello to new experiences. Yes, there is no "next year" as we have thought about every year of school since Kindergarten. However, there is "the rest of your life." How gratifying is it to know you have your whole life ahead of you? So exciting!

Everyone views these last 10 days as something different

"10 Days until my life is over."
"10 Days until freedom."
"10 Days until crazy summer partying."

I really hope that no one thinks that the next ten days bring the end of their life and happiness. High school is a quick stop on the journey of life. Yes, it's fun, and yes, it may seem like the end all be all. However, life holds many more experiences, joys, and relationships that are deeper and more meaningful than what can be found in high school.

I sincerely hope that most everyone in my class will view the next ten days as something like this:

"10 days until the beginning of the rest of my life."

For many, this can be daunting. Leaving the comforts of your home, friends, school, and family can be scary. The next phase is going to be difficult. Settling in to a new place (for most) is challenging both physically and emotionally. Don't let fear overcome you. Seize every opportunity, live every moment. There will never be another time in your life like it.

So, 10 Days.

I am going to make the next ten days count. The last ten days of riding to school with my sisters, the last ten days of putting on my school uniform in the morning, the last ten days of my mom waking me up for school, the last ten days of eating lunch in the cafeteria with my friends.

Yes, I'm excited, sad, scared, happy, and just about every emotion in between.

10 more days with the best senior class I could ask for definitely yields these kinds of emotions.

It's going to be hard to leave. Central has been such a unique experience.

However, I am confident and ready to move on to the next chapter of life, and welcome it with open arms.

10 more days of high school

10 more days until the beginning of the rest of my life

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative.

Emily

1 comment:


  1. Ksenia Solo (born 8 October 1987) is a Latvian-Canadian famous actress, especially known for portraying Mackenzie “Kenzi” Malikov on Lost Girl (is a Canadian supernatural drama television series that premiered on Showcase on September 12, 2010, and ran for five seasons.

    ReplyDelete