Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Family Matters

College has been going really great so far. I've been so busy with classes, getting involved on campus, and getting adequate sleep, that I honestly haven't had that much time to think about my family and how things are going back home.

This isn't to say that I don't miss my family. I miss seeing my mom, dad, brother, sisters, and dog on a daily basis. There are nights where I wish we could all gather around our kitchen table and enjoy a family meal together. I try to call my mom at least once a day, and talk to my two sisters every other day. I talk to my brother and dad at least once or twice a week. We try to incorporate FaceTime when we can, which is great because then I have the opportunity to "see" my dog, Chester. 

I was so lucky to have my mom and Grandparents come and visit me at Mizzou this past weekend. I hadn't seen my mom for almost a month. We had a great weekend together. There really is nothing better than family. It was so much fun to show my mom and grandparents all of my favorite spots around campus and introduce them to my new friends. Having my mom around was therapeutic and took my mind of some of the stress that surrounds college life. 

I got out of class Friday at about 1:00, so I met my mom and Grandparents at Shakespeare's, a well-known pizza joint near campus. After this, we took my grandparents on a tour of the campus since they had never seen it before. It was such a beautiful day!

After that, my mom and I went to Marshal's and the Gap Outlet store. I hadn't been off campus in a few weeks, so it was so nice to take in some new scenery and go shopping. On Friday night, we had dinner at the Heidelberg with some of my friends, as well as my roommate and her parents who happened to be visiting as well.

On Saturday, my mom and I woke up early and took a bike ride to a park near my dorm. It was a beautiful morning. We then rode to downtown Columbia and had breakfast at Kaldi's.


Delicious Quiche at Kaldi's. I still have some leftovers in my fridge.

On Saturday afternoon, we made a quick Target run, and then took a drive to the small town of Boonville, Missouri. It's about 20 miles outside of Columbia. We ate at a diner for lunch, and then made our way to Warm Springs Ranch.

Warm Springs Ranch opened in 2008, and the breeding of the Budweiser Clydesdales occurs here. It's a beautiful farm and the horses are majestic creatures. They offer a little tour, and my grandparents showed interest, so we took the one hour tour. It was a very informative tour and a great way to spend the afternoon. 


Clydesdales that are expected to foal in about two weeks.


My grandparents, my mom, and I, posing with Duke after the tour.


This Clydesdale was so precious! He was only about three weeks old.


We were lucky enough to see Hope, the star of this year's Budweiser Superbowl commercial.


Outside the barn with my Grandparents


I highly recommend Warm Springs Ranch 

On Saturday night, we went out to eat at my favorite Thai Restaurant in the District. After dinner, I returned to the hotel to relax and take advantage of the comfy hotel bed.

Having my mom and grandparents visit was so nice. It was great to see them and introduce them to my new friends. Taking a day to get off campus and relax was also much appreciated.

I can't wait to see my dad, mom, and brother on family weekend at the end of the month, and I'm in the process of planning a trip to visit my two sisters at their respective universities.

Has your family visited you at college yet? Do you plan on going home to visit them?

Stay Stylish, Stay Classy, Be Creative
Emily








1 comment:

  1. Rijles Den Haag Hofstad rijopleiding is écht gevestigd in Den Haag Wij helpen je met het behalen van je autorijbewijs na je rijexamen leer je pas echt autorijden Wij helpen je een heel eind op weg om het verkeer in Den Haag én in Nederland de baas te zijn Wij gaan voor kwalitatief rijden!

    ReplyDelete